
Well, the update is that there really is no update.
The district is calling for the option of laying off all non-tenured teachers, but they are saying this is something they really "don't want to do." Whatever that means. I understand that we're in an economic crisis but there's several questions I have.
1. Why aren't other districts laying off droves of teachers? (ahem, perhaps they knew how to budget their $$ better? Hmm?)
2. Don't they realize if they let teachers go mid-semester that it will create utter chaos in the school district? (which will lead to a definite decrease in the quality of our kids' education).
3. How is it even ethical to let a professional (who has a BA, MA, credential, and years of experience) go with only two weeks notice?
4. I Owe Yous? Apparently they are thinking of giving I Owe You's to teachers during the month of May...um, will my mortgage company accept an I Owe You? ....Yeah, I didn't think so.
Alright, so that's my rant for the day. I'm just frustrated that the people running this operation haven't figured out that there are big areas to cut before cutting teachers! For example:
1. LAUSD owns a TV station that is worth 64 million. Need I say more?
2. BTSA: This is a program for new teachers to clear their credential instead of them taking classes. It costs the district millions to operate every year. Uh...just have us take classes! We can afford the cost of a few CSUN classes. We can't afford to loose our job.
3. Periodic Assessments: These are standardized exams but they aren't the one that count at the end of the year (hardly anyone even looks at them and they don't mean anything!). They are 3 tests that we give out periodically to measure the kids progress. Don't we all have like 3 degrees? Can't we write our own tests? This program costs the school district 144 million dollars a year!
4. I don't want to even mention how much the big wigs make compared to my paltry salary. When's the last time they wrote a lesson plan? I'd like them to go down to Watts for a day and try teaching kids who yell, "Mother...Bleep!" in their face as they try to teach them Algebra. Then we'll see if they think we're paid enough.
That being said, I sincerely hope and pray that everyone's job is safe, that the people making these decisions will do what's best for students and teachers, and that this entire nation will find some relief. Hopefully Obama will have some clever ideas fast! Come on January 20th...I hope California catches a break.
I can't believe it has come to this :(
ReplyDeleteI hope your job is safe!!!
Thanks! I hope so too!
ReplyDelete